3195

Online Master Class: Unearthing Value from the Everyday
Online Master Class: Unearthing Value from the Everyday
Nov 4, 11, 18, 25
Dec 2 | 3:00 PM-5:00 PM

Sessions: 5
Class #
Dates & Times
Days
Sessions
Tuition
Master Member Tuition
Supply Fee
Code 3195
Nov 4, 11, 18, 25
Dec 2 | 3:00 PM-5:00 PM
Wednesday
5
$ 350
$ 315
$ 0

Instructor: Mariana Acosta

How does it impact our perspective of beauty, preciousness, and value when we use plastic bottles or old magazines in lieu of gold, bronze, or other precious materials?

This online course with Mexican contemporary jewelry artist Mariana Acosta will explore the art of transforming waste materials into a sustainable piece of jewelry or sculpture through a five step “challenge” process based on the Gestalt Theory principles of form and perception. “

When you pick an ordinary object, such as a water bottle—that you drink and discard on a daily basis with no regard whatsoever—with the intention of immersing yourself in the study of its form, something will shift permanently in the way you envision your existence. You will wonder at things like the creases and folds on a paper cup, or the different textures, forms, and colors on a PET bottle. It is the little things that count. If we can see the unnoticed in our everyday world and bring it from the ordinary to an extraordinary level through diving into a transformational process along with it, we will suddenly find potential in every object and/or material.”

Participants will test the idea that even post-consumer waste can become precious, and will prove that the journey, and not only the finished piece is what is most contributing to the creative process.

This class is suitable for students whose focus is jewelry, sculpture, or installation. participants will learn to expand their skills by resourcing outside their current discipline. Participants will be encouraged to explore, research and personalize new techniques, adapting and/or modifying what is most suitable to their process enabling a new form of dialogue with their materials and current situation.

Participants will complete a piece of jewelry or sculpture fashioned from 80% waste materials. The remaining 20% can be additional materials that serve as connection mechanisms in a sustainable form.

Prerequisite: none. Some type of hands-on skill (sewing, fabrication, etc) will be helpful, but is not required.


Non-Member: $ 350
Members: $ 315


Register